Saturday, October 6, 2012

Hardly Strictly bound

Update, October 7: I am one happy transit user. Not only did I get to Golden Gate Park without a hitch yesterday afternoon, I got home via the Muni 5 express (from 30th and Fulton) and BART from Civic Center without any delays or fuss ... and I even got to sit all the way, both ways. BART is reporting today that it broke its Saturday ridership record, but the much-maligned Muni was the real surprise to me.

***

I am on my way to the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass festival on what's being billed as the Bay Area's biggest weekend of events in a long time. I am going to live blog my travels, so follow along.

12:08 Just got on the AC Transit NL Transbay bus, running a little late. Hoping to catch the Muni 5 to Golden Gate Park at the Transbay Terminal. It will take a while, but I will have a seat ... as I do on the NL. My game plan for today is to arrive by mid-afternoon.

12:35 Sailed across the Bay Bridge. Very little traffic. We arrived in time for me to catch the 5 with some other fans. There are plenty of seats for now as we head up Market. So far, way easier than expected! I am sure things were more crowded an hour or two ago.

1:20 Arrived at park! Had a great ride, talking with folks. Thanks, Muni.

John Paul Jones and Robyn Hitchcock
Big crowd for The Head and the Heart

Buskers

Allison Moorer and Steve Earle