Target's appeal, of course, is that you can get pretty much anything there, from socks to bananas to housewares with true design appeal. The prices are good and it's a pleasant place to shop ... and the City Target's Metreon location is super-convenient for the tens of thousands of people who work and live nearby. Target deserves props for making its bonanza of merchandise available to urbanites who need and want to shop without an SUV.
But I like to shop with local businesses when I can. The idea of spending all my money at Target or Amazon simply doesn't mesh with my values. So now that the holiday shopping season is here, I'm renewing my vow to shop small when I can.
Case in point: My visiting daughter and I bought several packs of Christmas cards at the City Target the other day, mostly because they were cheap and looked good and we didn't have much time to shop since we want to sign them together this weekend. One design we didn't get featured the San Francisco skyline and the word "Believe." I have been thinking I'd go back for a pack or two for my own use.
But today I remembered the locally owned card and gift shop that I really like, right in my neighborhood. I want to see Urban Indigo stay in business, and (despite a lack of evening hours and slightly higher prices), they're really just as convenient and at least as design savvy as Target.
| Poppy, the mascot at Urban Indigo. You won't see this at Target. |
It's easy to get carried away with shopping this time of year. Just as many of us have decided to be conscious about what we eat, where we live, and how we travel, that can go for where we shop. Sometimes it's simply a matter of asking: Can I get this thing from a one-of-a-kind shopkeeper in my neighborhood? The answer is often yes. Remembering to ask the question is what's important.