Sunday, November 4, 2012

For Measure B1

I moved to California from Idaho, one of the only states that refuses to allow most of its citizens to conduct "local option" votes for transit and other community infrastructure needs. (Resort communities are exempt. Idaho is also one of the only states that does not offer dedicated funding for public transit.) The Bay Area's excellent transit network is one of the big reasons I wanted to live here. It's an economic engine, it's good for the environment, and it helps people live healthier lives.

Because my partner is still in Idaho, we own a home there, and there are three education measures on the ballot for which I wanted to vote no, I've voted absentee in Idaho this fall. But if I could, I'd be taking advantage of my first transit local option voting opportunity. Measure B1 on the Alameda County ballot would raise sales taxes by a half-cent to boost funding for transit, road repairs, bike and pedestrian projects, and smart growth initiatives. The largest share of the revenue (48 percent) would go to transit.

Sales taxes are tough because they hit low- and middle-income folks harder than people with plenty of money. But without this funding, transit agencies will probably raise fares again, and that hurts working people, too. Federal funding for transportation has declined (along with sales tax receipts during the economic slowdown), so we all need to dig just a little deeper to keep AC Transit and BART strong and help the East Bay meet its overall transportation needs. As someone who lives and shops in Alameda County and who uses transit almost every day, I'll be happy to pay the extra half-cent to ensure excellent transportation amenities. Please vote yes on Measure B1.